1-5-2013 Day 1 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Bon Voyage!!

We left home a little after 9 a.m. to drive to Ft. Lauderdale to meet our ship for our World Cruise.  We had 12 pieces of luggage plus backpacks to pack in the car.  Where in the world will we put this in our cabin?!?! 

We arrived at the port and saw the banner on the ms Amsterdam that was there the last time we did the World Cruise – “Welcome Home.”  It really did feel a little like going back “home.”  We dropped off the bags and then Doug went to return our rental car.  More than an hour later he finally returned.  The agency was only a 5 min. drive away, but they only had two shuttles running so he had to wait and wait because six cruise ships were departing within an hour.  During that time I tried to get in my last calls.  And during that hour, an ambulance arrived and took a passenger and his luggage off . . . before we ever set sail!  One down . . . seems pretty early in the game for that.

Finally, Doug arrived and we went inside to “sign in.”  We were surprised that the line was so long that late in the day (around 3 p.m.)  So, we stood and gradually worked our way to the front . . . took 1 1/2 hours.  Have no idea what the problem was, but by now all we wanted to do was get to our cabin. 

We arrived at our new “home” . . . cabin #2643 . . . and were delightedP1000206 to see that all our luggage had already arrived and was waiting for us.  We were starving by that time, so headed up to the Lido and got some fruit and cheese and sat on the open deck to enjoy the view of Ft. Lauderdale. 

After the mandatory safety briefing, we headed back to our room to try to begin the challenge of finding a place for all our things.  Didn’t get too far before we went to dinner – early seating, Table 53.  We had pre-arranged to eat with a couple we had met on the 2010 World Cruise – Barb & Charlie – and then four other “unknowns.”  We soon discovered that the new passengers were two women, two men, none currently married, and they were sharing accommodations to help offset the cost.  But the more interesting fact was that one of the “couples” had done the same thing on another cruise with one of the others at the table.  It was kind of hard to keep straight who was with whom and when.  So the new adventure begins!

After dinner we headed back to the cabin – skipping the nightly entertainment.  We unpacked enough to get us to morning and then went straight to bed.  Having had only 3 hours of sleep the night before, we were more than ready!  Slept like a baby!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: